STRETCH FORMING PROCESS
The stretch forming process is a stamping process that utilizes a die within an open hollow part to shape a flat blank. This stretching process is broadly used to manufacture Thin-walled parts of cylindrical, rectangular, stepped, spherical, conical, parabolic, and other irregular shapes and a lot more complex shape parts. Stamping equipment is used for product stretching, which includes extension, redrawing, reverse stretching, and thinning stretching.
Firstly, stretch material forming was invented in the aerospace industry to improve the weight of aircraft to fuel efficiency improvement. Now, this process is used worldwide in the sectors such as the automotive, architecture, and rail car industries. Stretch material forming pulls part or every sheet into a concave cavity and sets it up into a container with a bottom by striking a convex die. The stretching process includes an expansion process for shaped, hemispherical, parabolic surface containers, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF STRETCH ROLL FORMING
Stretch Roll forming provides several advantages.
- Minimizes Inner Pressure: Pressure is Decreased because of the normalized grain structure of the metal after heat treatment and forming process, significantly reducing spring-back.
- Higher volume output: Stretch material forming is a speedy process, and we can get higher volume output with this process.
- Significant parts: It also helps form larger pieces with Thermal Engineering’s open access cold stretch hydraulic presses.
- Cost-Effective: Stretch material forming is more cost-effective than cold draw forming because it is a more accessible forming tool.
What is stretch forming used for?
Stretch forming produces compound curves in sheet material, especially in large panels. No Allocations are needed for spring-back; must create allocations for dimensional changes. At the time of stretching, the length increases, the width decreases, and the thickness decreases.
Business Field Served by MS Machining
MS Machining has succeeded in various Stretch Material Forming Services beyond numerous industries, including:
METHOD OF STRETCH FORMING
When designing a cold stamping die, the information to be collected includes product drawings, samples, design task letters and reference drawings, etc. and accordingly understand the following issues.
Stretch Material forming have mainly four methods are
- Stretch Draw Forming
- Stretch Wrapping
- Compression Forming
- Radial Draw Forming
Types of Stretch Forming
There are two methods of stretch material forming are
In longitudinal, the equipment stretches the length of workpieces, and in transverse, it pulls the width of the workpiece.
In MS Machining, we offer the production by stretching are
- Curtain walls assemblies and storefront
- Railing systems
- And more
Advantages and limitations of the Stretch Forming Process
Here we discuss the advantages and limitation of stretch forming as follow
- Stretch forming process needs 70% less force than conventional hydraulic press forming
- This process is cost-effective
- The stretching process can create complex shapes
- During or after forming, the indent parts are drawn using bulldozing or joggling in the stretch developing process.
- By using over forming in stretching, spring back is reduced.
Stretch forming limitation
Stretch Forming is not a better choice for high production stretch because it slows the forming cycle time.